Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weddings and Wedding anniversaries


It is our three year wedding anniversary today and I had to look back and write.... We planned our wedding in two months (We didn't want a long engagement).  I know I wanted the beach, with sand between my toes and the ocean air in my hair.  And we were blessed with the most amazing day, sunshine and blue skies!  We refused to have a plan B just in case the weather was bad, we just believed...

I walked through frangipanis towards my groom, stopping at each guest to receive a flower (we asked in the invite for each girl to bring a flower that reminds them of me).  My bunch of flowers grew bigger than I suspected....  but I loved it!  We used this for the official wedding bouquet which I threw, later in the evening, towards the excited "next-to-be-bride". 
While signing the marriage certificates, Stephan's sister's daughter sang, in her beautiful voice, Amazing Grace.  After the ceremony, walking through the guests, red rose petals were strewn over us (and this created beautiful pictures).  And our family friend, Malitsaba sang the African cheering "tlatlatla...." which gave the end of our beach-ceremony an African twist.  It was special and we felt her blessing and happiness through the beautiful African sound.
Our wedding function was walking distance from the beach at a small hotel.  Our tables were basic, with candles, red rose petals, white see-through linen and bright red wine glasses.  We put more detail in the food - rather than having a "opskep"/buffe.  We put some "throw-away" cameras on the tables so that the guests could make their own memories.  Developing the films (yes, it was film cameras) served us with many funny and fun photos...  We printed our own message on a white servet (that my mother made) and the guests could take that home.  My sister-in-law made us "love" key-chains as gifts for the women. The men received cigars.

We partied right through until it was time to celebrate my birthday.  Yes we got married on the 21st of March.  My birthday is the 22nd.  I danced barefoot all night, still feeling the sand between my toes.
Our guests were brilliant and so full of energy (and dance moves).  We didn't focus a lot on speeches and the normal detail of a wedding, but still had the wedding cake and a roaming mice which offered the most amazing stories frour friends and family.  I will always be grateful! 
Our day turned out perfect.  Do I have regrets?  Yes, maybe all brides do, I don't know, maybe not...
Regrets:  We wanted a small wedding, but had to pay the price - I couldn't invite everyone I wanted to share our special day with.  Forgive me always.

We didn't focus so much on speeches or thanking people or family.  Looking back, I really should have thanked my two grandmothers.  For being there, for contributing to the person I have become, for loving me always and just for being the most amazing grandmothers I could ever ask for (both now in their 80's - I was so blessed to have them at our wedding).  Thank you Grandmothers!!! 
Thanking a lot of other people I should have thanked, but didn't.  Thank you! 

We forgot to take a group photo and official friend photographs.  I only have random photograps of me or Stephan with friends.  Regret - hiring the photograper for only half the day and not the full evening. 

Looking back, I am grateful.  It was the most amazing day in my life.  Thank you for everyone who made it special!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...