Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Swedish Christmas

Donald Duck, Pickled herring,  and nubbe - A Swedish Christmas

My Swedish Christmas began at 2 o’clock on Julafton, December 24.

But I started the day in my own kitchen in my apartment trying to dust off the spider-webbed- baker in me.  My chocolate brownies and carrot cake mixes weren’t really meant for cupcake holders, but I tried it, but left it in the oven too long.  I warned my hosts beforehand, but they were very polite and tried my cupcakes in the end.... (The forgotten memories of baking have not yet returned, but I am willing to give it another go in the maybe-near-future).
We arrived at 2 at our hosts, a Swedish family who will always be close to my heart and who were kind enough to invite us along for Christmas.  First glögg (mulled wine) is prepared in a pot on the stove and served in small coffee cups.  We brought Lingonberry glögg (cow berrier).  I love the taste and warmth of glögg.
At precisely 3.00, the TV is switched on and is it time for the oldest and most steadfast Christmas tradition in Sweden: the collection of short clips out of popular Walt Disney cartoons or movies.  Donald Duck (Kalle Anka in Swedish), Mickey Mouse (Musse Pigg), Goofy (Långben), Chip and dale (Piff och Puff), Cinderella (Askungen), Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Snövit och de sju dvärgarna) all make their appearance in this half hour-watched-by-all-Swedes tradition.  This is probably one of the strangest Swedish traditions I've ever seen. The Swedes watch the same episode that has been screened for the past 50 years, every year.  Only the last 5 minutes of the show is changed every year. This year Timon and Pumba made their appearance in the last 5 minutes.  The strangest of the whole tradition is that it is dubbed, but you can still hear the original English audio, e.g. Donald Duck’s voice.  The dubbed voice is an ordinary man talking in an ordinary voice, in Swedish, not in a Donald Duck or Goofy voice. What an interesting tradition!  But what I found is that it brings the whole family together; the adults look forward to the whole event just as much as the children.  And newbies introduced to the tradition (me) enjoyed it as much as everyone else! And what I loved most is the Swedes know all the words of it as well as all words of the songs!  But this creates a warm and cozy feeling before the Julbord!
 
Next on the agenda is the Christmas feast or Julbord, as it's known in Swedish. The standards include Christmas ham, pickled herring, meatballs, soft cheeses, smoked salmon, “prince sausage” (small sausages with what looks like crowns at each end) and potato bake - a smorgasbord of Christmas delights. All this is combined with the drinking of nubbe (Swedish snaps).  And if you have to not-drink-and-drive there is always Julmust - a special Christmas coke that was introduced to me and which I came to love.  It almost tastes like cherry coke.  Julmust is (according to my knowledge) only available over Christmas and comes in bottles with Christmas labels and all.






<>
 
Julmust
After a lot of indulging, eating, sometimes singing and laughing, the table is cleared and the children are told that Santa could be on his way.  Santa in Sweden is not a phantom-like visitor that fills up children's stockings while they sleep. No, the bearded man in the red suit delivers presents to children face to face, usually after the Julbord. At this time, the dads of Sweden conveniently step out to go and "buy the newspaper". 
After the visit from Santa and the opening of all the presents it is time for coffee and “something with the coffee”.   I was introduced to the miniature red and green cupcake holders with the most delicious toffee mix they call knäck.  They also warn you beforehand that it is very dangerous for your teeth.  I loved the caramel-toffee-nutty taste.  I sucked long and hard as not to lose a tooth.  With the knäck they served a dark brown toffee mix in silver cupcake holders.  This they call kola.  Also a delicious sweet-dark-toffee-pudding mix which is better eaten with a spoon.
While enjoying coffee, with a Swedish-whiskey twist, the adults (who brought two presents each) choose two numbers written on small pieces of paper.  The presents with your numbers on is yours.  Everyone waits for all to receive a present, which the dad of the house gives out and then everyone opens theirs together.  PS. I loved my gifts!
<>
<>
knäck
After cleaning and coffee everyone relax in front of the television for a traditional Swedish movie.
Christmas in Sweden is very different to the ones I've had in South Africa, Argentina and South Korea, but it also has it's similarities. It was a great experience and definitely one of the highlights of my time in Sweden.




God Jul och Gott nytt År!
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...