Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My first Swedish lesson

The first sentence I said to someone in Swedish (my first “conversation” if you will) was with an old lady in an elevator in the library in Gothenburg.  She said something (I have no idea what, as I was just starting out with the language).  And the first Swedish words that popped into my head were:  “Jag skulle vilja vill gå till toalett.” (Translated:  I would like to go to the toilet).  She looked at me with one eye only (the other one on the red number counting down the floors), murmured something under her breath and stopped the elevator at the first available floor.  The she “ran” out (well walked as fast as she could).  My eagerness to have a conversation in Swedish or just to let my voice be heard, to let the Swedish population know that I am here and I want to say something, taught me a valuable lesson that day:  Don´t speak (Swedish) to strangers.

Gotlib (Gothenburg library) on the right
  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...